Originated from South America, Chinchillas are really popular pets and are really charming and friendly. Because of their traits, you will find chinchillas are really adorable as pets. However, there are certain things that you should know as a pet owner as you get yourself a chinchilla. You should make sure your house can fit these furry rodents and you have proper knowledge of their diet plans as well.
In this article, we are going to take a look at the most important things that you should learn about your pet chinchillas so that you can take proper care of your pets.
- One of the most important things that you should know before you head out an get yourself a pet Chinchilla is the fact that you will be getting a pet rodent and its teeth will continuously grow per year. This is why it is really important that you provide your pet Chinchilla with untreated wood that they can chew on in order to keep their teeth in shape.
- If you are careless about this, your pet Chinchilla might get uneven teeth making it really difficult for it to chew food along with the risk of tooth infections.
- Diet plan is really important for your pet Chinchilla as both under-eating and overeating are going to be really problematic for it. This is why you should perform proper online research so that you can get the best possible diet plan for your pet Chinchilla. Apart from Hay, you will find that there are food pellets that are available in the market that you can include in their diet in order to provide them with all the necessary nutrients.
- It is really important that you are familiar with the fact that the fur coat of your pet Chinchilla is extremely dense which is why they need dry and cool air all the time so that they can maintain their body temperature. Moreover, it is really important that you place their cage in a well ventilated place in order to minimize the risk of heatstroke that is really common with pet Chinchillas.
- In order to keep themselves clean, Chinchillas roll themselves in dust that helps them to get rid of their body oil. This is why it is really important that you get them Dust bath kits that are easily available online. These Dust baths should be provided to your pet 2 to 3 times a week for 10 to 15 minutes. Moreover, it is really important that you clean the dust that you use as it gets dirty over time because of Chinchilla’s body oils.
- Lastly, if you are a light sleeper then you Chinchillas are not just for you as they furry little rodents are nocturnal and they are usually active at dawn and dusk. This is why they are highly active during this time making noises and moving around in their cages. It is also important that you provide them with space so that they can get some rest during daylight hours.
These are the most important things that you should know about your pet Chinchillas in order to provide them with proper care and attention.